Ekolution® Hemp fibre insulation
This EPD covers the production of insulation from bast fibres derived from the industrial hemp plant. The bast hemp fibres are a soft, woody fibre obtained from the hemp stems and have a very high tensile strength. The hemp fibres are often used as a reinforcement in bio-composites and has very good thermal and acoustic insulating capacity.
Ekolution® Hemp fibre Insulation is thus a bio-composite material that is very suitable for the construction sector. Ekolution® Hemp fibre insulation has several technical and environmental advantages:
- The industrial hemp binds large amounts of CO2 in a plant during its growth, faster than most other sources of biomass raw materials.
- Low-embodied energy
- High sorption capacity (moisture buffering) and effectively adjusting humidity levels
- High specific heat inertia, means that hemp fibre takes longer to heat and cool, resulting in less temperature variations in the material
- Reducing heat consumption and energy costs
- Breathable with diffusion-open designs and building techniques.
- Very good sound attenuating properties.
- Natural, healthy and anti-bacterial
- Ecological, zero harmful and non-toxic emissions.
- Simplified production process, as the fibre is organic and comfortable against the skin and respiratory tract.
- 100% recyclable and renewable product.
This EPD has been registered as an ECO Platform EPD with ECO EPD Reference number 00001349. The International EPD System is a founding member of the ECO Platform and its procedures has undergone a peer audit to be able to use this logotype. All EPDs of construction products from different programmes that carry the ECO logotype are listed here.