Advantages when creating or using EPDs
The International EPD® System is applicable for all types of products and services within clearly defined product categories. EPDs are designed to meet various information needs within the supply-chain and for end-products both in the private and public sector, as well as for more general purposes in information activities and marketing.
The main advantages of EPDs are:
For those creating EPDs and providing information on the market
EPDs provide opportunities for giving a quantitative and verified information about the environmental performance of products, viewed from a comprehensive life cycle perspective. The following advantages can specifically be outlined:
- Objective - through the use of scientifically accepted and valid methods based on international standards for life cycle assessment (LCA).
- Non-selective and neutral - because no claims of valuations or predetermined environmental performance levels must be met.
- Flexible - through enabling any change or improvement of the EPD as required by the company/organisation after due external review and verification.
For those using EPD information for various purposes
Since EPDs contain factual-based and verified information about the environmental performance of products and services they can be used as source information for various purposes. The following advantages can specifically be outlined:
- Comparable - because the information in EPDs are being collected and calculated based on international accepted and harmonised calculation rules.
- Credible - through the requirements for routine inspections, review, approval and follow-up by an independent verifier.
- Accurate - because the information has to be continuously-updated based on in-company routines for documentation and follow-up procedures.